The Property Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day accounting activities of approximately 15-20 properties in the assigned portfolio. The Property Accountant adheres to the Accounting Policies set by Premier Housing Management and maintains professional relationships and communicates regularly with all levels of staff and lenders who all must work together for the success and profitability of the all properties.
- Monitor property expenses, analyze trends in financial data and interpret information and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenditures. Advise Regional Managers and management of areas of concerns such as budget variances and cash projections.
- Prepare a Financial Statements as dictated by scheduled timelines. This analysis outlines and reviews financial activity that occurs during the month and includes detailed analysis of the General Ledger.
- Record a wide variety of journal entries monthly (or as needed) for routine transactions not recorded by Property Managers including but not limited to mortgage activity, bank activity, and auditor requests. Assure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Advise, support and guide Property Managers and all Premier staff in preparing Yardi and Excel Reports, deposit receipts and security deposit refunds.
- Authorize and process Yardi transactions requests made by Property Managers in accordance with GAAP and PHM OPPM.
Respond promptly and professionally to support request and calls from site employees, PHM, PCS and lenders.
- Review the General Ledger and make adjustments to items that were created in error by other parties or as requested by Property Management. Collaborate with Property Management on all adjustments to ensure the integrity of the financial statement.
- Reconcile all bank statements per property each month. Research and resolve all discrepancies and provide an explanation to Accounting Management by due date
- Maintain required financial and backup documentation for each property, organized by property and by month consistent with standards set by Accounting Management.
- Prepare accurate and timely required reports for government agencies, lenders, and owners. Depending on the need and required due dates, reports are prepared on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Analyze the need for Replacement Reserve Requests for Capital Expenditures and process the draw submission from the escrow holder quarterly or as needed.
- Prepare Balance Sheet Reconciliation for assigned properties, at minimum, on a bi-annual basis.
- Review escrow accounts, including tax and insurance, to ensure adequate funding and prompt payment. Coordinate with the lender for each escrow account for each property to ensure all payments are made on time.
- Prepare for audits starting in November. Coordinate with Department Management to compile and prepare bank statements, Yardi reports, and escrow activity for each property.
- When requested by management, develop and populate each property budget using historical data and expenses in areas of utilities, management fees, taxes and insurance expenses and other mortgage related activity during the budget season.
- Be knowledgeable and follow generally accepted accounting practices and procedures. Depending on the portfolio, maintain compliance with Section 8, Section 42 and Section 236 rules and regulations.
- Assist in training and development of new Accounting personnel.
- Perform and/or direct any and all other authorized accounting functions necessary to ensure the proper and effective operation of the Accounting department and fulfill other duties that may be assigned by Department Management.
Qualification Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Training and Experience)
- Four Year degree in accounting or related field and 1-3 years of accounting experience required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Above average mathematical ability and reasoning skills. Experience with reviewing and analyzing financial data.
- Accounting software experience required. Intermediate understanding of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to work with personnel at all skill levels of the organization in a “team” environment to achieve optimal solutions to Premier business needs.
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to enter data and focus on a personal computer for extended periods of time.
- May be required to travel occasionally for site visits, seminars or meetings.
|Job Category||Full Time|